UPDATE: Daviess County burglary suspect shot and killed by police identified

State Police have released the identity and cause of death of the burglary suspect who was shot and killed Thursday by authorities in Daviess County.

Kentucky State Police identified the suspect as 34 year old Kenneth Clay of Owensboro. An autopsy was completed earlier today by the Daviess County Coroner that revealed Clay died of multiple gunshot wounds.

State Police say around 12:10 Thursday afternoon 911 dispatched the Daviess County Sheriff’s Office to a burglary in progress at a home on Boothfield Road in the western portion of the county. A caller advised 911 he encountered the burglar when he fled from the home and he was armed with a gun when he ran into a nearby wooded area.

According to state police, Clay was shortly found by authorities and given numerous verbal commands to surrender. Authorities say Clay knelt appearing to comply, but then he pulled a concealed firearm and at that time was shot and killed by an officer with a patrol rifle.

KSP is continuing to investigate the officer involved shooting and the Daviess County Sheriff’s Office is handling the investigation of the home invasion.


State Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a burglary suspect in Daviess County.

Daviess County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a burglary in progress around 12:10 Thursday afternoon at a residence in the 100 block of Boothfield Road in western Daviess County. The sheriff’s office says responding units were advised by 911 telecommunicators that a caller had encountered the intruder who brandished a firearm when he fled the area on foot.

Arriving units confirmed the suspect ran into a nearby wooded area and was armed. Deputies then secured the home and requested assistance from the Owensboro Police Department and Kentucky State Police, and notified schools to initiate lock down procedures.

After a 15 minute search of the area, officers spotted the suspect and waited for additional units to arrive at the scene to assist.

Police say after the suspect was given numerous verbal commands to surrender, he knelt down as if to comply with their commands. However, the suspect reportedly raised a previously concealed firearm in the direction of the officers, at which time he was shot by another officer and killed at the scene.

Kentucky State Police is handling the shooting investigation and the Daviess County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the home invasion.

An autopsy is scheduled today at the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Louisville, at which time KSP says the identification of the suspect is likely.

Register for our Birthday/Anniversary Club!!