LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — Investigators say a preliminary investigation has found that a construction worker accidentally started a massive fire that destroyed a beef cattle auction business in Lexington.
Media cited a statement released Friday by the Lexington Fire Department that says sparks from a construction worker’s circular saw ignited combustible materials at the stockyards, which is operated by the Blue Grass Livestock Marketing Group. No one was injured.
The fire on Jan. 30 churned up a plume of thick, black smoke that darkened the skies for miles. The flames also consumed several nearby businesses.
Interim Fire Chief Harold Hoskins said in the statement that the blaze has been ruled accidental, but the investigation is continuing.