DCSO: Daviess Co. man in critical condition after accidentally setting himself on fire

Authorities say a Daviess County man is in critical condition this morning after he accidentally set himself on fire Thursday night.

According to the Daviess County Sheriff’s Office, emergency personnel responded to the 6-thousand block of Dick Street in Curdsville around 8:45 where a caller advised a propane tank had possibly exploded. Upon arrival, authorities reportedly found 59 year old Stephen Leo McCarty outside in his garage after he had accidentally set himself on fire.

McCarty was transported by ambulance to Owensboro Health Regional Hospital and then airlifted to the University of Louisville Burn Center for third degree burns on nearly 100% of his body.

At this time, authorities say it is unclear how the 59 year old man exactly set himself on fire, but there is no foul play suspected.


Register for our Birthday/Anniversary Club!!