ST. LOUIS, Mo., April 28, 2022 – The St. Louis Cardinals expect to welcome their 50 millionth regular season fan in Busch Stadium’s history during tonight’s game versus the Arizona Diamondbacks at 6:45 PM CT.
Dating back to the first game at Busch Stadium on April 10, 2006, the Cardinals regular season attendance total currently stands at 49,977,443. The club expects to have more than 33,000+ fans in attendance for this evening’s game, which will be the 1,221th home game with fans. With that, the Cardinals will set a new Major League record for fewest dates needed to draw 50 million in a ballpark, bettering the previous mark of 1,259 set by the San Francisco Giants at Oracle Park from 2000-2015.
The organization will recognize the attendance milestone with a on-field ceremony shortly before tonight’s first pitch.
“50 million fans at Busch Stadium in a little over 16 years is incredible, said Bill DeWitt III, Cardinals Team President. “Not only does it reflect the success we’ve had on the field, but also the consistently great support we get from our fans every year. We are truly grateful for their passion and dedication to Cardinals baseball.”
The Cardinals will become the third MLB team to reach the 50 million regular season attendance mark since the 2006 season, joining the Los Angeles Dodgers (54,665,629) and New York Yankees (52,661,626). Since 2010, only the Dodgers have a higher home regular season attendance total than the Cardinals.
Additionally, Busch Stadium will become the 16th active MLB ballpark to welcome 50 million regular season fans in its history, despite it being the eighth-most recent MLB ballpark to open (six ballparks that opened before Busch Stadium have not reached the 50 million threshold).
More Busch Stadium Attendance Notes*
- The St. Louis Cardinals sold out the first 162 games at Busch Stadium beginning with the Home Opener on April 10, 2006 through the 2008 Home Opener on April 1
- The Cardinals had a streak of 240 consecutive regular season games with a least 40,000 fans in attendance, from September 25, 2013 through September 25, 2016.
- 79.5% of Cardinals regular season games (906 of 1140) have had attendances of over 40,000 fans.
- The Cardinals have never had a crowd of less than 30,000 for a regular season game with no capacity restrictions at Busch Stadium. The lowest attendance figure for a regular season game was 30,090 on September 5, 2012 versus the New York Mets.
- The largest regular season crowd at Busch Stadium was 48,547 on Sunday, May 12, 2019, vs. Pittsburgh (Mother’s Day, first-ever Cardinals Purse gate giveaway).
- The Cardinals have averaged 41,996 fans per regular season game since Busch Stadium opened in 2006.
*Figures do not account for 2020 & 2021 games affected by limited capacity/pandemic protocols.
— STL —