Local News

MFD: Morganfield Home Evacuated Due to Gas Leak

MFD: Morganfield Home Evacuated Due to Gas Leak

Bill Stephens

June 3rd, 2016

0 Comments

A home in Morganfield was evacuated Friday after the smell of natural gas was detected in the area.

According to Chief Rick Millikan, the Morganfield Fire Department, Morganfield Rescue Squad and Morganfield Public Utilities were dispatched around 2:00 p.m. Friday to the area of 319 N. Morgan Street for a smell of gas. After the area was secured and checked by fire and public works officials, he says Public Utilities located a very strong reading of natural gas by scanning through the windows of area homes with a new detection tool.

Fire department officials knocked on the door and ordered the resident to leave the structure while Gas Department personnel shut off the gas to the residence.

Chief Millikan reports the Morganfield Fire Department assisted by ventilating the house until the Gas Department’s readings were below an explosive or flammable limit.

Units were on the scene for approximately two hours.

Comments are closed.