FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Latest on two court hearings in lawsuits against Republican Gov. Matt Bevin (all times local):
A state judge has delayed ruling on House Speaker Greg Stumbo’s request to exclude evidence from his lawsuit against Republican Gov. Matt Bevin.
Stumbo is asking a judge to throw out Bevin’s vetoes of the state’s two-year, $68 billion operational budget.
Bevin says he filed his vetoes with House Clerk Jean Burgin. Bevin says Burgin promised she would deliver the vetoes to the Secretary of State’s office. But Bevin said “House leadership” instructed Burgin to lock the vetoes in her office and not deliver them.
Stumbo’s attorney Matt Stephens wants to exclude all evidence of what Burgin did because he says it is not relevant to the case. He says Burgin cannot assume Bevin’s constitutional duties to deliver the vetoes. Judge Phillip Shepherd it was too early to rule on the request.
Republican Gov. Matt Bevin’s administration is heading to court to defend the governor’s vetoes of the state budget and his reorganization of a board that recommends some state judges.
Kentucky Democratic House Speaker Greg Stumbo has challenged Bevin’s vetoes of the state’s two-year operating budget, arguing Bevin did not follow the law when he filed the vetoes in April. If Stumbo wins, it would restore $9.4 million for a program providing community college scholarships to most Kentucky high school graduates. Bevin has said his vetoes are valid. The first hearing in the case is scheduled for Wednesday morning.
Also on Wednesday, Bevin’s lawyers will ask a judge to dismiss a lawsuit challenging his order reorganizing the Workers Compensation Nominating Commission. A state judge ruled against Bevin in that case earlier this month.