Local News

Sen. Ridley: Union Co. awarded over $575,000 in grants and scholarships from Kentucky Lottery, Corp.

Sen. Ridley: Union Co. awarded over $575,000 in grants and scholarships from Kentucky Lottery, Corp.

Bill Stephens

December 17th, 2015

0 Comments

Kentucky Lottery Corporation officials this week announced new figures indicate lottery proceeds last fiscal year provided more than 196-million dollars in scholarships and grants to more than 91-thousand students statewide. Of that amount, Senator Dorsey Ridley says over 3-million dollars went to schools in Caldwell, Crittenden, Henderson, Livingston, Union and Webster counties.

In Union County, Senator Ridley of Henderson says 342 grants and scholarships worth $575,163 were awarded, an increase over the previous year of when over 554-thousand dollars was given in 340 grants and scholarships.

Other grants awarded in District 4 included:

-277 grants and scholarships worth over 457-thousand dollars were awarded in Caldwell County;
-151 grants and scholarships worth over 261-thousand dollars in Crittenden County;
-850 grants and scholarships worth over 1.2 million in Henderson County;
-185 grants and scholarships worth over 295-thousandd dollars in Livingston County; and
-243 grants and scholarships worth over 368-thousand dollars in Webster County.

By statute, 55 percent of lottery revenue funds the need-based College Access Program and Kentucky Tuition Grants, while the remaining 45 percent goes to the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship program.

According to Senator Ridley, these funds represent a part of the 2.4 billion dollars in scholarship grants provided for students in the Commonwealth since 1999 from Kentucky Lottery proceeds. Across the Commonwealth, officials indicate over 659-thousand students have received a lottery-funded college scholarship or grant since 1999.

Ridley said in a release an investment in education is an investment in the future of Kentucky.

Comments are closed.